Monday, April 11, 2011

Today I saved 3 lives...sorta

Today I gave blood at school
I haven't given blood in a long time 
The last time was when I was at Cal Poly
So I was excited to finally have the time to give 
and I was excited I passed the iron test 
half the time I do try to give blood, I don't pass the iron test 
So I gave blood and saved 3 lives 
Here are a few facts about Blood and giving it:
  • 4.5 million Americans will a need blood transfusion each year
  • 43,000 pints: amount of donated blood used each day in the U.S. and Canada
  • Someone needs blood every two seconds
  • Only 37 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood – less than 10 percent do annually
  • One pint of blood can save up to three lives
  • A patient could be forced to pass up a lifesaving organ, if compatible blood is not available to support the transplant
  • 46.5 gallons: amount of blood you could donate if you begin at age 17 and donate every 56 days until you reach 79 years old
  • 10 pints: amount of blood in the body of an average adult
  •  One unit of whole blood is roughly the equivalent of one pint
  • Blood makes up about 7 percent of your body's weight
  • A newborn baby has about one cup of blood in his body

1 comment:

Johanna said...

that's awesome! good for you.