Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 2 in Ireland Day 9 of our trip

It was another long driving day in Ireland 
I do have to say it is nice that the round-a-bouts are named

 
even if the name is usually something that I don't dare try to pronounce 
but when you are using printed Google maps directions and a compass on the iPhone, things get a little confusing 
We usually have to ask for directions once and usually it's when where trying to find our next hotel 
we really needed a GPS 
But anyways on Friday March 23rd 
we left Galway and headed to the Cliffs of Moher 
It was a spectacular sight 
and freezing cold 
it was also pretty windy 
luckily it didn't start raining until after we left the cliffs
we have seriously lucked out with weather this trip 
I was expecting rain everyday but have been pleasantly surprised 
and my eyes were getting super watery that it looked like I had a black eye of mascara 
If you have been to the cliffs in the past 
you might notice that there is a new addition of a fence to keep tourist from getting too close 
I guess they have had quite a few deaths at the cliffs 
which I was thinking if the ground did give way and you fell would there be anything you could do to survive 
I think I would think that whatever was gonna happen next would probably hurt a lot 
is that what dare devils think about when their tricks go wrong?
food for thought
so you are no longer to go out as close as others did in the past 
which if you remember from the last post that husband has a fear of heights 
so he was perfectly ok with staying on the path
me on the other hand 
am a little bit of an adventure 
I was the kid that wanted to be Indianan Jones when I grew up
So I saw that there were a tourist on a trail that was closed to the public
and quickly joined others in exploring the closed path along the cliffs edge 
I think I almost gave Nathan a heart attack 
are conversations would go as followed 
n: ok that was your last picture lets go 
c: wait let me get one more further up (I walk further down the closed trail)
n: ok you got your picture 
c: let me look a little longer (I move closer to the edge)
n: ok you have looked enough (walking as far away from the edge as possible)
Nathan says that while I was exploring 
he was thinking that 
he wanted to tie me down from getting too close to the edge 
understandable for someone who is afraid of heights 
I do have to say that I maintained a safe distance while exploring the closed area
I really wasn't that close to the edge
there were other tourist that scared me with how close they were getting 
but the cliffs were a spectacular sight for sure
I would like to see what it's like looking from the ocean up
I think that would be an equally impressive view 
I guess I will just have to watch the 6th Harry Potter movie 
From the Cliffs of Moher it was off to Blarney Castle 



Blarney Castle is famous for the Blarney stone 
legend states that if you kiss the stone you will gain the gift of gab or eloquence 
So that is what we did 
the stone is at the top of the castle 
you have to lay on your back and scoot far back so you can kiss the stone 
funny thing is that I was scared to lean back but Nathan was fine 
I think it was because its not something that I really have control over 
the castle was cool to see but I particularly liked the underground tunnel 
not all of it is open to the public
but there is a tunnel leading from the castle underground to some caves 
they said in the past when the castle was under siege 
people escaped the the treasure in the tunnels 

and the invading army had no clue where everyone and everything went 
There was also a poison garden 
it has things like nightshade and other poisonous plants you hear about people killing each other with in old stories 
Nathan and I thought it was funny they had a cage with some of the 'hallucination' plants 
but there was a sign stating that the marijuana they had grown was confiscated by the Irish police 
we thought it was funny 
the grounds of the castle were pretty fun to explore 

there were some wishing stairs
 if you climb up and down without opening your eyes your wish will come true 
It was a little scary 
as cool as the castle was the most annoying part was they did not accept card 
cash only was a theme in Ireland for attractions 
and when you forgot about your automatic student loan and mortgage payment go through while your on vacation 
and your transfer from savings doesn't go in for another day 
at one point I think we had $0 to our name 
it was a little scary but luckily everything worked out 
but seriously the entrance to Blarney Castle wouldn't accept credit card but the gist shop would? 
lame 
plus when its the end of an international trip who really wants to take more cash out 
not me 
We spent the evening getting lost trying to find our B&B in Cork 
and eventually having lunch/dinner at a little restaurant
that thankfully took credit card  





1 comment:

Lynette said...

That is so neat! I'm glad you guys got to go on that trip! Beautiful pictures...obviously that lucky wall brought you some luck in that little belly of yours ;)