Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Last day in Ireland

We had our last full day in Ireland on March 25th
We started the day with a delicious breakfast 
well I should back up and explain the hotel we stayed at 
Last year from June-Dec I was an unpaid marketing intern for the vacation rental company Resortime.com
as a thank you I received 2 nights at one of their properties 
So I chose The Cliff Town House in Dublin



On our way out of the hotel
It's located on St. Stephens Green within a short walking distance to Trinity College and some awesome shops
And when I say short walking distance I mean it 
We seriously walked down the street for 3 min and were right next to a mall and a bunch of other designer shops 
anyways we started off the day with a delicious breakfast

My yummy breakfast that I couldn't wait to eat that I forgot to take a photo of it 



The not so great photo
 I took with my phone
of the lovey room we had breakfast in 
Nathan had the Irish Breakfast and I had Eggs Benedict 
Both were amazingly yummy 
and it came with fruit, juice toast and pastries 
Our first stop of the day was actually a short drive outside of Ireland 
Bru na Boinne and the Neolithic hill or chamber tomb Newgrange
Which was the only attraction we visited that accepted credit card 
thank goodness or else we wouldn't be able to get in
What Nathan and I really found interesting about the site was that the inner tomb inside the mound is older than the Pyramids 

the history of the site was pretty fascinating to learn about 
There are giant stones surrounding the base of the mound that have worn carvings 


The best preserved carving was on the entrance stone 
They took small groups into the tomb 
The pathway in was narrow and once you get into the central tomb its surprisingly small for how big the mound it 
The inner tomb is built without a seal meaning it's rocks stacked on top of each other 
another cool aspect is that the chamber is solar aligned 
meaning that opening above the entrance aligns with where your feet are at inside the tomb 
so on the morning of the winter solstice light enters in the top tunnel and illuminates the inner tomb 
they simulated what it would look like inside the tomb 
so for a few moments we were in complete darkness 
you don't want to go inside if you are claustrophobic 
They actually have a lottery to take people in the tomb during the solstice 

however our guide was saying that there are many times 
that it's the solstice and it's too cloudy or fogy for the sun to even illuminate the cave 
Newgrange was definitely one of our favorite places we visited on our trip 
Nathan was interested in the structure and I was interested in the history 
It was then back to Dublin where we rushed to Trinity College 
so I could see the Book of Kells before they closed for the day 
Well we got there with 15 min to spare only to find our that the credit card machine at admissions was broken
alas it was not meant to be 
but seriously why couldn't they charge my admission through the gift shop 
I was so tempted to try to sneak my way in 
but the admission guy was a jerk and was watching me closely 
but seriously so lame 
Nathan asked if I could just go in and look real quick and still got shot down 
oh well 
After that we took a couple pictures around the college and ended our night by seeing 
The Hunger Games 
Yep we really couldn't wait a couple of more days to see it at home 
but it's kinda cool to say we saw it in Dublin 
the movie theater we went to was a lot nicer than any theater I have been in the states 
It was a couple stories tall and served good looking food 
like Ben and Jerrey's and had a bar and lounge area 
Anyways the movie was great 
and we ended our relaxing night with gelato 
Which wasn't as good as the stuff I would get weekly in Siena 
but it was still pretty good 
Overall it was a nice and relaxing evening especially after all of our crazy sightseeing we had done throughout the trip 
The next morning we had another delicious breakfast before checking out 
and then it was off to the airport 
Nathan bought an Ireland magnet with our last 3 Euros 
it was then goodbye Ireland 
and Hello London for an hour 
before we boarded our non-stop back to San Diego


Don't we look hot at the airport 

our flight home was a little delayed which Nathan wasn't too happy about 
because right after we landed we went straight to Nathans soccer game 
where he played the last half hour 
That boy loves to play soccer 
Overall it was a fantastic trip and I am so happy we were able to do it 
I know Nathan wasn't that excited to visit England again after going on a month long study abroad there 
but he said seeing me look like a little kid in candy shop was worth it 
England has always been on the top my list of places to see and I am excited to cross it off 
So whats next for the Fields 
 we are going on a very relaxing cruise to the Bahamas next month
and I have a girls trip to Hawaii 
a weekend trip to Miraval thanks to the Ellen show 
and first up the Welk Resort and a weekend in Palms Springs 
What can I say we are living it up before baby changes our life forever 
but we couldn't be happier about the new changes that will come 
As for international trips
next on the list is either China, or Germany
We have contacts in both countries that we want to use before it becomes too late
If you want to read more about Ireland check out some of our older post here, here, and here
If you want to read about our England adventure check them out
here, here, here, here, here, here, and here 
a note on our England posts
they were all done on my phone with pictures I took on my phone
eventually I would like to share some of the photos I took in England with my good camera 

No comments: