Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gender Reveal Dinner

The day after my ultrasound 
we had a gender reveal dinner with both of our parents 
It would have been fun to have a full party with all our family and friends 
but Nathan and I are so busy 
We don't have a free weekend till November
and even then we only have 2 free weekends in November 
Our friend Katie graciously agreed to make a few cupcakes 
I would have made them myself 
but
for some reason I have never made cupcakes 
or I can't remember a time that I have made cupcakes before  
so I didn't want my first batch to be for such an important occasion 
plus I don't even own a cupcake pan
It was so hard not to tell anyone on Wednesday before the dinner
I probably had about 5 different people just text me about the gender 
I seriously got nothing done that day because I kept thinking about how excited I was to tell our parents 
Luckily 6:30 came faster than I thought it would 
and I was soon at the restaurant
we met halfway in Temecula 
and silly husband got lost on his way from work 
Somehow Nathan and I both wore blue shirts to dinner 
so I don't know if our parents were were surprised 
Once we placed our order we pulled out the cupcakes 
holy pictures 
both grandmas wanted to get pictures of the frosted cupcakes 
and pictures of Nathan and I with the cupcakes 
finally we got everyone in their seats 
We made our parents close their eyes 
while I placed the cupcakes in front of them 
I didn't want them to look at the cupcakes for too long before biting into them 
Finally it was time and we let our parents open their eyes and take a bite 
The grandmas said awww blue 
while the grandpa said "It's green" 
So I guess the baby is gonna be color blind? 
Baby also received his first ornament 
the pink shoe has to be returned now that it's a boy 
This baby is going to be the 1st grandson for Nathans parents 
It will be the 5th grandson for my parents 
My mom was hoping for a girl 
Both grandparents are excited to have a grandchild in the same state let alone only an hour away 
After the gender was announced 
more pictures were taken 
I am very seriously considering no grandparents in the labor room
they can be in the waiting room
Maybe I will have a rule that there is only one camera allowed in the room 
but definitely not 3 cameras all going at the same time 
it was overwhelming 
Plus I don't want any photos that show my legs in stirrups
and I especially don't want any crotch shots 
grossness 
In fact if there is a picture of me during labor it better only be from the waist up  
So I am still mulling over this grandparents in the labor room with us 

The rest of the dinner went well and we told the rest of our family and friends later that night
sorry if it was kinda late 
we couldn't wait any longer 


I am interested to hear other mother thoughts:
Did you do a special gender reveal? How did it go?
Did you have other people besides your partner in the labor room with you? 
What were your thoughts on photographs during labor and delivery?

2 comments:

karin said...

Out of my 5 deliveries, one was a C-section so just my husband was there, 2 went too fast for anyone but husband to be there and the other 2 were parties...like if you were allowed 2 people there were 4. I have had my mom and MIL and sisters in the room. And I got to watch my sister, it really is amazing. But I think it is what ever you are comfortable with.

I don't mind post-epidural photos and I prefer photos taken of baby from my point of view (so no crotch shots).

Betsy Hite Reddoch said...

I had a c-section so only Nick was in the room with me. He took plenty of pictures including one of Asher's foot poking out of my abdomen, and one of the placentas and afterbirth stuff in a bowl. Weird stuff for sure, but I love that we have a lot of photos. If I were to have a vaginal birth I would like to have only Nick in the delivery room.

I did do a special gender reveal. I posted a photo of my belly wrapped in two blue ribbons on my blog and on facebook. It was really cute, but I don't think I could do it again because with only one kid the baby bump wouldn't be that big at 20 weeks.